Restaurant, Bar, Tavern

Did you know that the restaurant, bar or tavern that overserved its patron may be responsible for the injuries caused by their drunk patron?

Unfortunately, victims of drunk driving accidents can suffer serious injuries, can incur significant medical expenses and can lose substantial income resulting from those injuries. Any time you have been the victim of a drunk driving accident, you should consult with an experienced attorney who can help assist you in recovering fair compensation under the circumstances.

Under certain circumstances, you can sometimes recover against the restaurant, bar or tavern that served the drunk driver his alcoholic drinks.

A good personal injury lawyer will help you discover whether the restaurant, bar or tavern who served and/or supplied the alcohol to its drunk patron should have stopped serving the patron before s/he got behind the wheel of a car and/or caused injury to others. Under some circumstances, Massachusetts’ courts have said that certain injuries are foreseeable and the server/supplier of the alcohol owed the victim a duty to prevent such injuries.

A bartender and/or restaurant server (“server”) may be responsible for injuries caused by a drunk patron when they serve the drunk driver more alcohol after the patron appeared visibly intoxicated and the server could or should have expected the drunk driver could endanger the public in that condition.

Moreover, servers of alcohol may have a duty not to allow an underage (i.e. 17 years old) and/or unfit drinker (i.e. 2 prior convictions) consume alcohol when it is reasonably foreseeable that such drinker may drive and/or cause injury.

Moreover, Massachusetts’ Courts, under some circumstances, have found servers responsible for the injuries a drinking patron causes himself. For example, if a minor is permitted to drink alcohol and the server should have known that such drinker is a minor, under certain circumstances, the server may be liable for causing the minor drinker’s injuries.

If you have been victimized by a drunk driver, you should consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as practicable. Most reputable attorneys will provide a free consultation for this sort of case.

Restaurant, Bar, Tavern Articles